Heating Oil Service in South Carolina
February 25, 2020
Did you know that heating oil companies in South Carolina are private businesses that do not operate as monopolies? They are typically local, family-owned companies with deep roots in their communities that must be competitive in the market in order to earn their business.
As a heating oil customer, you benefit from this because your local heating oil companies have to provide excellent value in order to keep your business. Here are just a few ways that companies in the Palmetto State are doing that:
- When it’s cold, your oil company will always have an ample supply of fuel on hand to make sure you stay warm.
- Your oil company will deliver better and better versions of heating oil, thanks to the development of ultra-low sulfur heating oil and renewable Bioheat® fuel.
- When it comes to home energy, your heating oil company is the local expert. They’ll be able to recommend energy- and cost-saving tips so you can reduce your energy use and save money at the same time.
Some tips for lower heating bills
Heating our homes, especially when we get trapped by an cold snap, can get expensive. Here are some steps you can take to save some of your energy dollars.
- Consider upgrading to a smart thermostat system. This allows you to conserve energy by viewing and changing temperature settings from anywhere, thanks to your smart phone.
- Use weather-stripping to stop drafts around the edges of doors and windows. Weather-stripping and caulking windows and doors in your home keep cold drafts out.
- Make sure that the heated air inside your home can be circulated properly. Keep baseboards and vents clear of rugs and furniture so you don’t block heat output.
- Insulate pipes in unheated areas such as attics or crawl spaces.
- Check your forced warm air heating system’s air filter about once a month to make sure it’s clean, which will keep your system running more efficiently.
- Proper boiler and furnace maintenance is essential. Make sure your heating system is operating at peak efficiency by having an annual heating system tune up done by your heating service contractor, ideally in the spring or summer.
- Upgrade to a new, high-efficiency furnace or boiler. Qualified homeowners in South Carolina who want to improve the energy efficiency of their homes can receive rebates of $300 when they install a new high-efficiency oil heating system. A $200 rebate is also available for new aboveground heating oil tanks. Read more about your rebate opportunities.